What is the opinion of Allamah Mansoor Hashemi Khorasani on revelation? Atheists do not consider revelation to be heavenly, and the Jews and Christians do not consider the Quran to be a revelation, but rather they believe it is the words of Muhammad, peace and blessings of God be upon him and his family. How can we prove that the Quran is a heavenly revelation without quoting the Quran itself as evidence?
Allamah Mansoor Hashemi Khorasani, may God Almighty protect him, in the topic “Cognition of the last Prophet” from his invaluable book Return to Islam, after clarifying that the Quran is historically authentic and has been widely transmitted in a unique manner, has explained that its miraculousness is evidence that it has been revealed from God, and this has four aspects:
Firstly, “despite its gradual completion during twenty three years and contrasting states of Muhammad, peace and blessings of God be upon him and his family, in safety, fear, affluence, poverty, residency, migration, war, peace, victory, and defeat, which usually require difference in the human being’s words, there is no difference in it, and it has a unitary and fixed tone.”
Secondly, “it is extremely eloquent and rhetorical.”
Thirdly, it “contains true reports about the future and hidden sciences at the time of completion.”
Fourthly, it “does not have any contradiction with the intellect and innate morality.”
It is clear that “the combination of these attributes in a person who is not connected with God is not possible.” Therefore, ﴿تَنْزِيلُ الْكِتَابِ لَا رَيْبَ فِيهِ مِنْ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ﴾; “The revelation of the Book, in which there is no doubt, is from the Lord of the worlds”; especially considering that “it has called everyone to bring a book like itself, and so far no one has been able to bring a book like it” after fourteen centuries despite numerous reasons for doing so, while this long period is sufficient to bring a book like it if it were possible. To be fair, the Quran is not compared to any books of poets, wise people, scholars, and preachers unless it surpasses them in wording and meaning. This is while the one who brought it was an illiterate man who could neither read nor write. Therefore, the arrogance of the foolish who do not believe in the unseen or fanatically adhere to the religion of their fathers does not diminish its authenticity in any way; as God Almighty has said about one of them: ﴿إِنَّهُ فَكَّرَ وَقَدَّرَ فَقُتِلَ كَيْفَ قَدَّرَ ثُمَّ قُتِلَ كَيْفَ قَدَّرَ ثُمَّ نَظَرَ ثُمَّ عَبَسَ وَبَسَرَ ثُمَّ أَدْبَرَ وَاسْتَكْبَرَ فَقَالَ إِنْ هَذَا إِلَّا سِحْرٌ يُؤْثَرُ إِنْ هَذَا إِلَّا قَوْلُ الْبَشَرِ سَأُصْلِيهِ سَقَرَ﴾; “He reflected and plotted. May he perish; how he plotted. Then he looked. Then he frowned and glared. Then he turned away and acted arrogantly. Then he said: ‘This is nothing but magic handed down from the past. This is nothing but the word of a human being.’ Soon I will cast him into Hell.”
What does it mean that the Quran is extremely eloquent and rhetorical? How can one who does not speak Arabic understand this eloquence and rhetoric? It has been said that the Quran contains true reports about the future and hidden sciences at the time of completion. Please provide some examples of these reports and sciences.
Please note the following points:
A) The eloquence and rhetoric of the Quran refer to its excellent expression, the power of its impact, and its freedom from incorrect phrases, inappropriate combinations, and unfitting words. It also possesses a distinguished rhythm and a unique style, in such a way that if one of its verses is included within a text from others and shown to someone, he can easily see the distinction and the superiority of the verse, even if they are the most eloquent and articulate individuals; as the verses of the Quran shine and stand out among the Hadiths of the Prophet, the sermons of Amir al-Mu’minin Ali ibn Abi Talib, and the works of well-known orators, like the moon among the stars. This is a great sign that is perceptible and evident to all those familiar with Arabic, to the extent of their familiarity. Of course, if someone is completely unfamiliar with Arabic and wants to understand the eloquence and rhetoric of the Quran, he has no choice but to take the trouble to learn Arabic; because this is his problem, not that of the Quran; just as if someone does not take the trouble to go to the Prophet after hearing the news of his emergence and, therefore, does not see his miracle, it is his fault, not that of the Prophet who has performed a miracle for those present, although he will be able to trust the report of those present if it is widely transmitted and accompanied by definite evidence, and in this way, he will be able to become certain of the truthfulness of the Prophet. Similarly, those who are unfamiliar with Arabic, at least until they learn it, can rely on the report of hundreds of expert and renowned linguists who have testified to the exceptional eloquence and rhetoric of the Quran and bowed down before it; especially considering that the exceptional eloquence and rhetoric of the Quran, like the justice of Ali ibn Abi Talib and the generosity of Hatim al-Ta’i, is one of the well-known things and has even been accepted and acknowledged by many non-Muslims, and considering that so far not a single person has been able to write a book that is considered to be as eloquent and rhetorical as the Quran, and this is definite evidence to accompany the report of hundreds of expert and renowned linguists. Moreover, many linguists have written extensive and well-argued works on this subject, and those who can read and understand them can use them to gain a deeper understanding of the eloquence and rhetoric of the Quran; such as Ma‘ani al-Quran by al-Farra’ (d. 207 AH), al-Nukat Fi I‘jaz al-Quran by Abu al-Hasan al-Rummani (d. 384 AH), Bayan I‘jaz al-Quran by al-Khattabi (d. 388 AH), I‘jaz al-Quran by al-Baqilani (d. 403 AH), Talkhis al-Bayan Fi Majazat al-Quran by Sharif al-Radi (d. 406 AH), Dala’il al-I‘jaz by Abd al-Qahir al-Jurjani (d. 471 AH), al-Nukat Fi al-Quran al-Karim by Abu al-Hasan al-Mujashi‘i (d. 479 AH), Funun al-Af’an Fi Uyun Ulum al-Quran by ibn al-Jawzi (d. 597 AH), al-Burhan Fi Tanasub Suwar al-Quran by al-Gharnati (d. 708 AH), al-Burhan Fi Ulum al-Quran by al-Zarkashi (d. 794 AH), Basa’ir Dhawi al-Tamyiz Fi Lata’if al-Kitab al-Aziz by al-Firuzabadi (d. 817 AH), Asrar Tartib al-Quran, al-Itqan Fi Ulum al-Quran, Marasid al-Matali‘ Fi Tanasub al-Maqati‘ Wa al-Matali‘, and Mu‘tarak al-Aqran Fi I‘jaz al-Quran, all of four by al-Suyuti (d. 911 AH), Min Balaghah al-Quran by al-Badawi (d. 1384 AH), al-Mu‘jizah al-Kubra al-Quran by Abu Zahra (d. 1394 AH), al-I‘jaz al-Bayani Li al-Quran by Aisha bint al-Shati’ (d. 1419 AH), Min Rawa’i‘ al-Quran by Muhammad Sa‘id al-Bouti (d. 1434 AH), Mabahith Fi I‘jaz al-Quran by Mustafa Muslim (d. 1442 AH), Shadharat al-Dhahab Dirasah Fi al-Balaghah al-Quraniyyah by Mahmoud Tawfiq (contemporary), al-Tahqiq Fi Kalimat al-Quran al-Karim by Hasan Mustafawi (contemporary), and many other works.
B) The reports of the Quran about the unseen and science, like its eloquence and rhetoric, are well-known among the general public and the elite. Some of them include the following:
1. The report about the victory of the Romans over the Persians in a specific time; as it has stated: ﴿وَهُمْ مِنْ بَعْدِ غَلَبِهِمْ سَيَغْلِبُونَ فِي بِضْعِ سِنِينَ﴾; “And they will be victorious after their defeat; within three to nine years.”
2. The report about the defeat and flight of disbelievers from Muslims in the Battle of Badr despite their larger numbers; as it has stated: ﴿أَمْ يَقُولُونَ نَحْنُ جَمِيعٌ مُنْتَصِرٌ سَيُهْزَمُ الْجَمْعُ وَيُوَلُّونَ الدُّبُرَ﴾; “Or they say: ‘We are a large group, bound to be victorious!’ The large group will be defeated and turn their backs (to flee).”
3. The report about the manner of the death of Walid ibn al-Mughirah al-Makhzumi, who was killed by a blow to his nose; as it has stated referring to him: ﴿سَنَسِمُهُ عَلَى الْخُرْطُومِ﴾; “We will brand him on the nose.”
4. The report about the faith and support of another city (Medina) if the people of Mecca persist in their disbelief; as it has stated: ﴿فَإِنْ يَكْفُرْ بِهَا هَؤُلَاءِ فَقَدْ وَكَّلْنَا بِهَا قَوْمًا لَيْسُوا بِهَا بِكَافِرِينَ﴾; “So if these (people) disbelieve in it, We will surely entrust it to a people who will not disbelieve in it.”
5. The report about the conquest of Mecca, which was under the control of disbelievers; as it has stated: ﴿لَقَدْ صَدَقَ اللَّهُ رَسُولَهُ الرُّؤْيَا بِالْحَقِّ ۖ لَتَدْخُلُنَّ الْمَسْجِدَ الْحَرَامَ إِنْ شَاءَ اللَّهُ آمِنِينَ مُحَلِّقِينَ رُءُوسَكُمْ وَمُقَصِّرِينَ لَا تَخَافُونَ﴾; “Undoubtedly, God has fulfilled the vision of His Messenger with truth. God willing, you will surely enter the Sacred Mosque, with your heads shaved and your hair cut short, without fear.”
6. The report about the intentions and conspiracies of disbelievers and hypocrites; as it has stated: ﴿وَقَالَتْ طَائِفَةٌ مِنْ أَهْلِ الْكِتَابِ آمِنُوا بِالَّذِي أُنْزِلَ عَلَى الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَجْهَ النَّهَارِ وَاكْفُرُوا آخِرَهُ لَعَلَّهُمْ يَرْجِعُونَ﴾; “And a group of the People of the Book have said: ‘Believe in what has been revealed to believers at the beginning of the day and disbelieve in it at the end of it. Perhaps they will return (and turn away from Islam),’”and stated: ﴿يُخْفُونَ فِي أَنْفُسِهِمْ مَا لَا يُبْدُونَ لَكَ ۖ يَقُولُونَ لَوْ كَانَ لَنَا مِنَ الْأَمْرِ شَيْءٌ مَا قُتِلْنَا هَاهُنَا﴾; “They hide in themselves something that they do not reveal to you. They say: ‘If we had anything to do with the matter, we would not have been killed there,’”and stated: ﴿وَيَسْتَأْذِنُ فَرِيقٌ مِنْهُمُ النَّبِيَّ يَقُولُونَ إِنَّ بُيُوتَنَا عَوْرَةٌ وَمَا هِيَ بِعَوْرَةٍ ۖ إِنْ يُرِيدُونَ إِلَّا فِرَارًا﴾; “And a group of them ask permission from the Prophet, saying: ‘Our houses are defenseless,’ while they are not defenseless. They intend nothing but to flee,” and stated: ﴿أَلَمْ تَرَ إِلَى الَّذِينَ نُهُوا عَنِ النَّجْوَى ثُمَّ يَعُودُونَ لِمَا نُهُوا عَنْهُ وَيَتَنَاجَوْنَ بِالْإِثْمِ وَالْعُدْوَانِ وَمَعْصِيَتِ الرَّسُولِ وَإِذَا جَاءُوكَ حَيَّوْكَ بِمَا لَمْ يُحَيِّكَ بِهِ اللَّهُ وَيَقُولُونَ فِي أَنْفُسِهِمْ لَوْلَا يُعَذِّبُنَا اللَّهُ بِمَا نَقُولُ ۚ حَسْبُهُمْ جَهَنَّمُ يَصْلَوْنَهَا ۖ فَبِئْسَ الْمَصِيرُ﴾; “Have you not seen those who were forbidden from whispering, then they return to what they were forbidden from and whisper about sin and aggression and disobedience to the Messenger, and when they come to you, they greet you in a way that God has not greeted you, and they say in their hearts: ‘Why does God not punish us for what we say?!’ Hell is enough for them, which is a bad destination,” and stated: ﴿أَلَمْ تَرَ إِلَى الَّذِينَ نَافَقُوا يَقُولُونَ لِإِخْوَانِهِمُ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا مِنْ أَهْلِ الْكِتَابِ لَئِنْ أُخْرِجْتُمْ لَنَخْرُجَنَّ مَعَكُمْ وَلَا نُطِيعُ فِيكُمْ أَحَدًا أَبَدًا وَإِنْ قُوتِلْتُمْ لَنَنْصُرَنَّكُمْ وَاللَّهُ يَشْهَدُ إِنَّهُمْ لَكَاذِبُونَ لَئِنْ أُخْرِجُوا لَا يَخْرُجُونَ مَعَهُمْ وَلَئِنْ قُوتِلُوا لَا يَنْصُرُونَهُمْ وَلَئِنْ نَصَرُوهُمْ لَيُوَلُّنَّ الْأَدْبَارَ ثُمَّ لَا يُنْصَرُونَ﴾; “Have you not seen hypocrites who say to their brothers, who are disbelievers among the People of the Book: ‘If you are expelled, we will surely go out with you, and we will never obey anyone concerning you, and if you are fought, we will surely help you’?! While God testifies that they are surely liars. If they are expelled, they will not go out with them, and if they are fought, they will not help them. Even if they help them, they will surely turn their backs (to flee), and then they will not be helped,” and many other reports that were all true, to the extent that they themselves were afraid that a surah would be sent down and would reveal their intentions and conspiracies; as it has stated: ﴿يَحْذَرُ الْمُنَافِقُونَ أَنْ تُنَزَّلَ عَلَيْهِمْ سُورَةٌ تُنَبِّئُهُمْ بِمَا فِي قُلُوبِهِمْ ۚ قُلِ اسْتَهْزِئُوا إِنَّ اللَّهَ مُخْرِجٌ مَا تَحْذَرُونَ﴾; “Hypocrites fear that a surah will be revealed about them that will inform them of what is in their hearts. Say: ‘Go on mocking! God will bring out what you fear.’”
7. The report about the invasion and corruption of the Mongols according to the interpretation of Allamah Mansoor Hashemi Khorasani, may God Almighty protect him; as it has stated: ﴿حَتَّى إِذَا فُتِحَتْ يَأْجُوجُ وَمَأْجُوجُ وَهُمْ مِنْ كُلِّ حَدَبٍ يَنْسِلُونَ﴾; “Until Gog and Magog are let loose and rush down from every height,” and stated: ﴿إِنَّ يَأْجُوجَ وَمَأْجُوجَ مُفْسِدُونَ فِي الْأَرْضِ﴾; “Indeed, God and Magog are corrupters on the earth.”
8. The report about the emergence of modern means of transportation; as it has stated: ﴿وَالْخَيْلَ وَالْبِغَالَ وَالْحَمِيرَ لِتَرْكَبُوهَا وَزِينَةً وَيَخْلُقُ مَا لَا تَعْلَمُونَ﴾; “And (He created) horses, mules, and donkeys for you to ride and as adornment, and He also creates what you (currently) do not know,” and stated: ﴿وَآيَةٌ لَهُمْ أَنَّا حَمَلْنَا ذُرِّيَّتَهُمْ فِي الْفُلْكِ الْمَشْحُونِ وَخَلَقْنَا لَهُمْ مِنْ مِثْلِهِ مَا يَرْكَبُونَ﴾; “And a sign for them is that We carry their offspring (meaning future generations) in a laden ship; and We create things of the same type of it for them to ride”; considering that things of the same type of ships are modern means of transportation that future generations ride, not horses, mules, or donkeys that are not specific to future generations or considered of the same type of ships. This is a unique interpretation from Allamah Mansoor Hashemi Khorasani, may God Almighty protect him; as one of our companions informed us; he said:
«سَأَلْتُ الْمَنْصُورَ عَنْ قَوْلِ اللَّهِ تَعَالَى: ﴿وَآيَةٌ لَهُمْ أَنَّا حَمَلْنَا ذُرِّيَّتَهُمْ فِي الْفُلْكِ الْمَشْحُونِ وَخَلَقْنَا لَهُمْ مِنْ مِثْلِهِ مَا يَرْكَبُونَ﴾، فَقَالَ: خَلَقَ لِذُرِّيَّتِهِمْ مِنْ جِنْسِ الْفُلْكِ مَا يَرْكَبُونَ، وَهُوَ السَّيَّارَةُ وَالْقِطَارُ وَالطَّائِرَةُ، وَلَيْسَ الْخَيْلُ وَالْبِغَالُ وَالْحَمِيرُ مِنْ جِنْسِ الْفُلْكِ وَلَمْ يُخْلَقْ لِذُرِّيَّتِهِمْ فَقَطُّ»; “I asked Mansoor about the words of God Almighty, where He has said: ‘And a sign for them is that We carry their offspring in a laden ship, and We create things of the same type of it for them to ride.’ So he said: ‘For their offspring, He creates something else of the same type of ships that they ride, and it is cars, trains, and airplanes, and horses, mules, and donkeys are not of the same type of ships and have not been created only for their offspring.’”
9. The detailed report about the stages of fetal development in the womb, including the fact that the fetus is enclosed in three membranes, which have been revealed with the advancement of medical science; as it has stated: ﴿ثُمَّ خَلَقْنَا النُّطْفَةَ عَلَقَةً فَخَلَقْنَا الْعَلَقَةَ مُضْغَةً فَخَلَقْنَا الْمُضْغَةَ عِظَامًا فَكَسَوْنَا الْعِظَامَ لَحْمًا ثُمَّ أَنْشَأْنَاهُ خَلْقًا آخَرَ﴾; “Then We made the sperm-drop into a clinging clot, and We made the clot into a lump (of flesh), and We made (from) the lump, bones, and We covered the bones with flesh; then We developed it into another creation,” and stated: ﴿يَخْلُقُكُمْ فِي بُطُونِ أُمَّهَاتِكُمْ خَلْقًا مِنْ بَعْدِ خَلْقٍ فِي ظُلُمَاتٍ ثَلَاثٍ﴾; “He creates you in the wombs of your mothers, creation after creation, in three layers of darkness.”
10. The report about the fact that the inner layer of the earth is liquid; as it has stated: ﴿أَأَمِنْتُمْ مَنْ فِي السَّمَاءِ أَنْ يَخْسِفَ بِكُمُ الْأَرْضَ فَإِذَا هِيَ تَمُورُ﴾; “Do you feel secure that the One in the heaven will not cause you to sink into the earth, to where it sways?!” There is a layer there within the earth’s mantle that surrounds its inner core. Unlike the earth’s surface, this layer has a molten state. It begins at a depth of 2,900 kilometers and extends to a depth of 5,100 kilometers; as one of our companions informed us, he said:
«سَأَلْتُ الْمَنْصُورَ عَنْ قَوْلِ اللَّهِ تَعَالَى: ﴿أَأَمِنْتُمْ مَنْ فِي السَّمَاءِ أَنْ يَخْسِفَ بِكُمُ الْأَرْضَ فَإِذَا هِيَ تَمُورُ﴾، فَقَالَ: إِنَّ الْأَرْضَ تَمُورُ فِي بَطْنِهَا، أَلَا وَاللَّهِ مَا كَانَ مُحَمَّدٌ يَعْلَمُ مَا فِي بَطْنِهَا، وَلَكِنَّ اللَّهَ نَبَّأَهُ»; “I asked Mansoor about the words of God Almighty, where He has said: ‘Do you feel secure that the One in the heaven will not cause you to sink into the earth, to where it sways?!’ So he said: ‘Indeed, the earth is swaying within its depth.’ Then he said: ‘Surely, by God, Muhammad did not know what was within the depth of the earth, but God informed him.’”
11. The report about the creation of the universe through a rupture or a big explosion, which is considered the most documented interpretation of modern physics about the creation of the universe; as it has stated: ﴿أَوَلَمْ يَرَ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا أَنَّ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضَ كَانَتَا رَتْقًا فَفَتَقْنَاهُمَا وَجَعَلْنَا مِنَ الْمَاءِ كُلَّ شَيْءٍ حَيٍّ أَفَلَا يُؤْمِنُونَ﴾; “Did those who disbelieved not see that the heavens and the earth were joined together, then We ruptured them and made from water every living thing? Then will they not believe?!”
12. The report about the sphericity of the earth, in a way that was understandable to those who would ponder and not too hard for common people; because they believed that the earth was flat; as it has stated: ﴿فَلَا أُقْسِمُ بِرَبِّ الْمَشَارِقِ وَالْمَغَارِبِ إِنَّا لَقَادِرُونَ﴾; “So by the Lord of the easts and the wests that We are Capable”; considering that the existence of multiple easts and wests for the earth makes sense only if it is spherical. It has also stated: ﴿يُكَوِّرُ اللَّيْلَ عَلَى النَّهَارِ وَيُكَوِّرُ النَّهَارَ عَلَى اللَّيْلِ﴾; “He wraps the night around the day and wraps the day around the night”; considering that the Arabic term that means “to wrap” refers to forming something into a circular shape, and the continuous wrapping of the night and day around each other holds true only if the earth is spherical, but rather it has no meaning other than the continuous wrapping of the two around the earth. In addition, the Quran has informed of «دَحْوُ الْأَرْضِ»; “the spreading of the earth,” and one of the meanings of the term «دَحْوُ» in Arabic is to roll something up; as they say: «دَحَى الْخَبَّازُ الْعَجِينَةَ» which means, “The baker rolled up the dough.” Therefore, the verse that reads ﴿وَالْأَرْضَ بَعْدَ ذَلِكَ دَحَاهَا﴾; “And after that, He spread out the earth,” could explicitly refer to the sphericity of the earth and has been interpreted as the spreading of the earth only because that meaning was far from the minds of the first audience and interpreters.
13. The report about the movement of the earth, which is not perceptible to its inhabitants; as it has stated: ﴿وَتَرَى الْجِبَالَ تَحْسَبُهَا جَامِدَةً وَهِيَ تَمُرُّ مَرَّ السَّحَابِ ۚ صُنْعَ اللَّهِ الَّذِي أَتْقَنَ كُلَّ شَيْءٍ﴾; “And you see the mountains, thinking that they are fixed, while they are moving like clouds. That is the work of God Who established everything perfectly.” In addition, some individuals have considered the comparison of the earth to «مَهْد»; “a cradle” in the Quran to be indicative of its spin; because the most prominent feature of a cradle is its back-and-forth movement to soothe a child. Also, another meaning of the term «دَحْوُ» in Arabic is to push something forward; as they say: «دَحَا الْمَاشِيَةَ» which means, “He pushed the herd forward.” From this perspective, it can also be considered a report about the earth’s orbit.
14. The report about the existence of gravity or erosion for the earth; as it has stated: ﴿أَفَلَا يَرَوْنَ أَنَّا نَأْتِي الْأَرْضَ نَنْقُصُهَا مِنْ أَطْرَافِهَا﴾; “Do they not see that We grasp the earth and reduce its sides?!” Considering that the gravity of the earth causes it to be compressed, and its erosion reduces its surface.
15. The report about the fact that the area of the Dead Sea is the lowest point on the earth; because it has considered the defeat of the Romans by the Iranians, which took place near the Dead Sea, to be ﴿فِي أَدْنَى الْأَرْضِ﴾; “in the lowest land.” This fact has been revealed only through Satellite images and modern scientific calculations.
16. The report about the fact that the universe has been expanding since its creation; as it has stated: ﴿وَالسَّمَاءَ بَنَيْنَاهَا بِأَيْدٍ وَإِنَّا لَمُوسِعُونَ﴾; “And We have built the heaven with might, and indeed, We are expanding it.” Interestingly, modern physicists consider this phenomenon a proven scientific reality and believe that its ongoing expansion is very strange and mysterious, as if an invisible and unknown force is causing it!
17. The report about the decrease in oxygen with the increase in altitude from the earth’s surface, which leads to difficulty in breathing; as it has stated: ﴿فَمَنْ يُرِدِ اللَّهُ أَنْ يَهْدِيَهُ يَشْرَحْ صَدْرَهُ لِلْإِسْلَامِ وَمَنْ يُرِدْ أَنْ يُضِلَّهُ يَجْعَلْ صَدْرَهُ ضَيِّقًا حَرَجًا كَأَنَّمَا يَصَّعَّدُ فِي السَّمَاءِ﴾; “So whomever God wills to guide, He opens his breast to Islam, and whomever He wills to let go astray, He makes his breast tight and constricted, as if he is climbing up to the heaven.”
18. The report about the fact that humans can travel into outer space with appropriate equipment and tools, but without them, they will be exposed to scorching and destructive cosmic rays. Similarly, going too deep into the earth will lead to encountering fire and molten metal in the earth’s mantle and core. This is understood from the verse that reads: ﴿يَا مَعْشَرَ الْجِنِّ وَالْإِنْسِ إِنِ اسْتَطَعْتُمْ أَنْ تَنْفُذُوا مِنْ أَقْطَارِ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ فَانْفُذُوا ۚ لَا تَنْفُذُونَ إِلَّا بِسُلْطَانٍ ... يُرْسَلُ عَلَيْكُمَا شُوَاظٌ مِنْ نَارٍ وَنُحَاسٌ فَلَا تَنْتَصِرَانِ﴾; “O assembly of jinn and mankind! If you can penetrate the boundaries of the heavens and the earth, then do so. You will not penetrate except with equipment ... (Because) a flash of fire and brass will be sent against you, and you will not be helped.” This is a unique interpretation from Allamah Mansoor Hashemi Khorasani, may God Almighty protect him; as one of our companions informed us, he said:
«سَأَلْتُ الْمَنْصُورَ عَنْ قَوْلِ اللَّهِ تَعَالَى: ﴿يَا مَعْشَرَ الْجِنِّ وَالْإِنْسِ إِنِ اسْتَطَعْتُمْ أَنْ تَنْفُذُوا مِنْ أَقْطَارِ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ فَانْفُذُوا ۚ لَا تَنْفُذُونَ إِلَّا بِسُلْطَانٍ﴾ فَقَالَ: بِسَبَبٍ يُسَلِّطُهُمْ عَلَى ذَلِكَ وَيَحْفَظُهُمْ، وَقَدْ أُوْتُوا نَصِيبًا مِنْهُ، فَيَنْفُذُونَ بِهِ بَعْضَ النُّفُوذِ، قُلْتُ: قَوْلُ اللَّهِ تَعَالَى: ﴿يُرْسَلُ عَلَيْكُمَا شُوَاظٌ مِنْ نَارٍ وَنُحَاسٌ فَلَا تَنْتَصِرَانِ﴾، فَقَالَ: إِنَّ فَوْقَ السَّمَاءِ وَتَحْتَ الْأَرْضِ شُوَاظًا مِنْ نَارٍ وَنُحَاسًا، فَإِنْ نَفَذُوا مِنْهُمَا بِغَيْرِ سُلْطَانٍ هَلَكُوا»; “I asked Mansoor about the words of God Almighty, where He has said: ‘O assembly of jinn and mankind! If you can penetrate the boundaries of the heavens and the earth, then do so. You will not penetrate except with equipment.’ So he said: ‘By a means that will give them power over this work and protect them, and indeed, a portion of it has been given to them, so they penetrate to a certain extent.’ I said: ‘The words of God Almighty, where He has said: “A flash of fire and brass will be sent against you, and you will not be helped.”’ So he said: ‘Above the sky and beneath the earth, there is a flash of fire and brass. So if they penetrate them without equipment, they will perish.’”
19. The report about the fact that plants, but rather all the particles of matter that are not visible to the naked eye and therefore were not known to past generations, have been created in pairs; as it has stated: ﴿سُبْحَانَ الَّذِي خَلَقَ الْأَزْوَاجَ كُلَّهَا مِمَّا تُنْبِتُ الْأَرْضُ وَمِنْ أَنْفُسِهِمْ وَمِمَّا لَا يَعْلَمُونَ﴾; “Glory be to Him Who created all pairs from what the earth grows, and from themselves, and from what they (currently) do not know.” What they did not know at that time refers to particles such as atoms, which are composed of pairs of neutrons and protons in their nucleus. This parity can now be found throughout the observable universe; as it has said: ﴿وَمِنْ كُلِّ شَيْءٍ خَلَقْنَا زَوْجَيْنِ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَذَكَّرُونَ﴾; “And We created everything in pairs. Perhaps you will take heed.”
20. The report about the phenomenon of “double-diffusive convection” in the seas, which means they do not mix despite their constant contact due to differences in temperature or salinity; as it has stated: ﴿وَهُوَ الَّذِي مَرَجَ الْبَحْرَيْنِ هَذَا عَذْبٌ فُرَاتٌ وَهَذَا مِلْحٌ أُجَاجٌ وَجَعَلَ بَيْنَهُمَا بَرْزَخًا وَحِجْرًا مَحْجُورًا﴾; “And it is He who has released the two seas, one fresh and sweet and one salty and bitter, and He placed a barrier between them, a partition that is forbidden to be passed,” and stated: ﴿مَرَجَ الْبَحْرَيْنِ يَلْتَقِيَانِ بَيْنَهُمَا بَرْزَخٌ لَا يَبْغِيَانِ﴾; “He has let free the two bodies of flowing water, meeting together. Between them is a barrier that they do not transgress.”
21. The report about the hidden characteristic of the human fingertip, which is now used as a means to verify people’s identities; as it has stated: ﴿أَيَحْسَبُ الْإِنْسَانُ أَلَّنْ نَجْمَعَ عِظَامَهُ بَلَى قَادِرِينَ عَلَى أَنْ نُسَوِّيَ بَنَانَهُ﴾; “Does the human being think that We will not assemble his bones?! Yes, We are able to put together his fingertips.”
22. The report about the role of the anterior part of the brain in controlling human speech and behavior; as it has stated: ﴿كَلَّا لَئِنْ لَمْ يَنْتَهِ لَنَسْفَعًا بِالنَّاصِيَةِ نَاصِيَةٍ كَاذِبَةٍ خَاطِئَةٍ﴾; “No! If he does not desist, We will surely drag him by the forelock; a lying, sinful forelock.” According to the latest medical and biological discoveries, the functions of this part of the brain, known as the “frontal lobe,” include the personality approach, judgment, planning, reasoning, speaking, and voluntary movements.
There are other reports about the unseen and science that cannot be counted here, and more cases and aspects of them are revealed over time.
Now it should be asked: Could a shepherd in the remote deserts of Arabia, who could not even read or write, without any connection with God, have such precise, unparalleled, and extraordinary knowledge of the complex phenomena of the universe, hidden scientific facts, and many future events and developments, and could he present a book to the world that thousands of linguists, scientists, and philosophers have humbly acknowledged the magnificence of its wording and the greatness of its meaning?! Clearly, he could not. Therefore, there is no doubt that he was the Prophet of God and the Book he presented was revealed from God.